Monday, October 15, 2012

I am hungry and don't know what to cook: FRIED RICE!

          This evening I had a slight conundrum, I was hungry, I wanted Chinese food, and I didn't budget for a trip to the Chinese place downtown.  However, we did have fresh produce from the farmer's market on last Saturday! So I made the impromptu decision to make fried rice. Not that I know how to make fried rice in the least, I am an Italian girl from rural Maine. Look how tasty it looks though!
Pretty good for someone who has never made fried rice before!
Makes enough for 3ish people!
What's in it?
One Egg
The tiniest cooking onion I have ever seen in my life
One quarter bell pepper I found in the fridge
2 carrots, they were like the length of my index finger
a handful of broccoli florets and stems (stem was thinly sliced)
Rice (obviously)
Sesame Oil (Optional)
Stir-fry sauce (we didn't have soy sauce, and I didn't know until I needed it)
mmmmm fried rice!
I chopped up all the stuff, now what?
Pre-Step One: Cook some rice, CC made the rice I used, so I can't really tell you how to make it. 

Step One: Heat the wok up to medium heat, or a little less than that. While that is heating, scramble an egg until it is a little bit frothy. Add the egg to the wok and wiggle the pan around so the egg thinly coats the bottom. Cook until it is set and then try to flip it over. You might succeed, or you might not. If you don't and it sort of makes and omelet looking block of egg thing, have no fear just cook it the rest of the way though. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate, slice it up so its in those cool egg strips.

Step Two: Gather whatever veggies you want in there, be creative, yell at your housemates 55 times asking what is ok to put in there. Decide you don't care about their input and put everything in there anyway. Dice the veggies up pretty small. Thinly coat the bottom of the wok with canola oil (or whatever oil, I don't think it matters). Toss the veggies in an cook until they are softened, add some sesame oil because it is awesome and makes it smell like you know what you are doing.

Step Three: Stick the cooked rice, the veggies, and the eggs all together in the wok. Add the stir-fry sauce or soy sauce while stirring until you think it is the right color. Remember, you can always add more after you plate it, but you can never take it away. Continue to stir and heat the pan until the rice is all warmed up. 

so easy. so tasty.
TA-DA Fried rice. Eat it now, it tastes surprisingly good. Add other things you think it needs. Decide that it was wicked easy and vow to stop making pasta and veggies three times a week and start making fried rice more often. 


Sorry this was the first post I (Brittany) have written since I started this blog! I was away teaching baking at a summer camp this summer and haven't cooked anything worth recording until today! (That is lie, I cooked lots of things, but I am also generally super busy with work).

Stay Awesome!
<3 Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment